Friday, January 15, 2010

Back In Delhi

We take so many things for granted. Most people might assume for example that a modern office building in major city might have adequate bathrooms. Not here.
We have offices in a office tower in Connaught Place, a major business and commercial center in the heart of Delhi. This appears to be a business condominium with each office being owned by a different person or company. We rent such an office on the eighth floor and have about 16 people working there. Each office is separately owned and has its own window air conditioners, telephone connection, Internet service, and yes, its own bathroom. The common services appear to limited to the elevator and some lethargic security guards at the front door. Now our bathroom was small and primitive at the best of times, but sometime last year it seemed to have failed and like many things around here, repairs are not quickly made. I had heard something about bathroom problems in our office at the time, but had forgotten all about this until I got here. On my first day, I was reminded by the helpful staff that our bathroom is non-functional but that the person who owns our office also owns another office on the same floor and he had agreed that we could use their bathroom. I was taken for a tour and introduced to the relevant staff in the other office so I would not be kept out when the need arose. Fortunately their bathroom was in reasonable condition given local standards. Some passing comments were made about another public bathroom being accessible on the ground floor but this was not deemed relevant information.
Our office works every other Saturday, and this week was a working Saturday. After a large breakfast in the hotel, I went to the office and as nature would have it, I needed to visit the bathroom. Unfortunately, the other office was not open and access to the bathroom was barred by a very solid looking wooden door with a huge padlock on it. I gingerly asked for information about the other facility on the ground floor. It appears that if you go out the back door and go through the garage there is another bathroom. I was not encouraged when I was sent off with a chuckle and "good luck" as I headed downstairs. Sure enough, there at the back of the garage, there was a set a urinals behind a little brick wall about waist high. I could smell them long before I could see them. The plumbing appeared to be incomplete as the urinals drained into a little trench on the floor with no drain in sight.
Fully working bathrooms are a wonderful invention,

No comments:

Post a Comment